Monday, January 30, 2006

Was it murder?

I am not one to watch Dateline on NBC. But as I was flipping the channels last night I heard those words.

"Type One Diabetic."

So I stopped and watched - the whole hour.

A mother in NV is charged with the murder of her eleven year old daughter, Ariel. Ariel had Type 1 for eights years and died from ketoacidosis. Her A1C was 16.1 (and 15 months earlier 15-something.) When the mom finally took her in to the clinic her meter had two readings from the previous week.

The jury convicted on 2nd degree murder but the judge overturned the conviction. The prosecutor plans to go back to trial.

The whole story left me disgusted and sad.

And that women (I hesitate to call her a mother) should be locked away for a long long time.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only the mother but the father that lived in the same town. He saw her the week that she died & said that she looked pale.He didn't take time out of his busy day to take her to a doctor or to get the glucose meter. He however have the balls to say that his ex wife got what she has comming.In my opinion he should be on the stand or better yet in jail with her. Disgusted father of a type 1 son.

10:31 PM  
Blogger Penny Ratzlaff said...

I wrote about this in my blog on Sunday and got lots of responses. My blog is at http://www.threeyearsfree.blogspot.com if you're interested in reading them.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

I wrote a piece about this, too. The topic is burning up the O.C. as well as the CWD parent's list.

I don't think first degree murder was the right charge, but I do think she should go to jail for a long time. What she, and her ex-husband, did is criminal neglect at the minimum, more likely homicide.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Yeah, this is a very sad story. I came across it the same way...flipping through channels and I heard the same key words. I didn't realize it was going to be a crime story. At first, I thought it was just about the diagnosis of a family's young child. However, it soon took a serious twist- as the stories on that show usually do.

I think both parents should be held accountable for the child's death. I'm not sure it was murder-
I don't think they wanted or planned for Ariel to die. However, they didn't do anything to prevent this from happening either. They severely neglected her... She didn't receive the care she needed and it ultimatly led to her death.

I do think that Ariel's Mom AND Dad should be punished for this. It's not fair that they get to be free to live normal lives, when their little girl didn't get the chance to.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home