Wednesday, March 22, 2006

The diabetic travel check list

Just returned from a long overdue vacation. Florence and Venice, 11 days, and two girls who hadn't taken more than a long weekend together in the past few years.

As I worked on my packing list for our trip, I noticed a difference in my diabetic supply list.
300 Test Strips
3 Meters
6 Multiclix lancet drums
2 backup lancet devices, with lancets
5 bottles of Humalog
1 bottle of Lantus
30 needles
45 days worth of Pump Supplies
1 bottle of Ketone strips
100 Alcohol Pads
120 Glucose Tabs
3 bottles of Purell

I split this in between my carry on and my checked luggage. (Just in case something happened to either bag!)

During my trip to Ireland in 2001 - my diabetic list looked like this...
Couple extra bottles of test strips (Enough for a few days)
Extra pump supplies
1 extra bottle of Humalog.


Yup that's it. More interesting to note that I was in a foreign country to run a marathon - 26.2 miles - and I didn't bring glucose tablets, let alone any backup for a pump or meter malfunction.

It's nice to see how far I have come in the past few years.

Next post- the blood glucose meter tour of Italy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kerri. said...

Welcome back, e!

I'm glad you and A had a terrific trip. I can't wait to hear the tales.

2:20 PM  
Blogger art-sweet said...

Glad to see you back, E.

And glad to learn that you were out having fun! Can't wait to hear more!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Nice to see you back. I can't wait to hear about your trip, although I'm sure I'll be green wth envy.

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Text message reminders may help monitor glucose levels in future trips: http://www.diabetesresponse.com/textmessagereminders

1:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home