Friday, March 24, 2006

Florence, Italy

A little photo essay on my meter's tour of Florence.

Here's the pump. Ready to go.

Outside the Santa Croce Church. Machiavelli is buried in there. As is Galileo, given a tomb there long after he died, when the church managed to get over his "earth revolves around the sun" thing. The monument to him had to wait. And the official "gee, we're sorry" had to wait even longer.

On the steps of San Lorenzo. This was the family church of the Medicis, the dynasty that ruled Florence formally and informally for an eternity and pretty much funded the Renaissance. The outside looks unfinished because it is. Like most Medici projects, it was Michelangelo's. They had him running all over creation doing their work, and he never got around to applying the marble to the facade.

San Lorenzo is also home to the Chapel of the Medici Princes, and confirmation that there is such a thing as too much marble.

On the Ponte San Trinita.

The testing bag. I get a new one every few months to keep myself interested. This one may last longer, I'm kind of attached to it.

My favorite. Standing on the Ponte San Trinita, overlooking the Ponte Vecchio (lit translation Old Bridge) with a sugar in the 100's. Just.

* A note on the meter pictures. In an effort to work the D into our trip, I came up with a plan. I figured that if A. took pictures of me testing in front of major sites, I wouldn't forget it test. I am easily distracted, and when wondering down streets and among buildings that are 900 years old, the last thing I would want to do is stop and test. By making part of our photo tour- it made it less bothersome- and even fun .

4 Comments:

Blogger Kassie said...

that's awesome. Children with diabetes has a whole section of 'testing in exotic places'. Love it!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Kerri. said...

I love the Testing Picture Journal. That's a terrific way to make reminding to test kind of funny.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

That is cool. You should submit that last one to the CWD website.

My mother is leaving for Italy this morning. I'm so jealous of all you world travellers.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Nicole P said...

Fabulous, Bug. I'm going to have to use this tactic...

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home