Thursday, March 30, 2006

They said I do and they're from Vermont*

My license is legal.
Just one of the many reasons you'll never get me to leave here.
High Court Says NonResident Gays Cannot Marry in the State Boston.com
Massachusetts Court Limits Same Sex Marriage New York Times

*Full disclosure. I borrowed this blog title from A. back when she wrote the gay marriage blog for Boston.com.
5.19.04 "THEY SAID 'I DO' AND THEY'RE FROM VERMONT." The White Whale swam before him as the monomaniac incarnation of all those malicious agencies which some deep men feel eating in them, till they are left living on with half a heart and half a lung...he pitted himself, all mutilated, against it. All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil, to crazy Ahab, where visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Moby Dick. (Chapter 41)

I'll return later in the day. I have a jam-packed travel schedule today, and I will keep Governor Copy Cop (Romney) informed of my movements. I didn't get a marriage license on Monday and I do live in Massachusetts, but if there's going to be a big chase scene, I want in. http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/05/19/romney_eyes_order_on_licenses/

Please note that this entry was written before Misses E and A became Mrs. E and A.
We waited a whole year to legally tie the knot- no need to rush into anything.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. Thanks for mentioning this. I really enjoy your blog. As a gay type 1 myself, I think we have some really great things going for us here in the Bay State. 1. gay marriage and 2. lots of endos to choose from. My partner and I will marry in October of 2007 I hope. We have been together for 2 years. He is part of the reason I have chosen to take better care of myself with D. *I really enjoyed the meter tour of Italy photos too! Jim from Salem, MA

1:04 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Hi Jim,

I am glad you stopped by! There are a couple of us gay Type 1's out here. You should check out Art-Sweet's blog, art-sweet.blogspot.com.

Also- venice meter photo's coming soon.

e.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Scott S said...

For what its worth, the law does not apply to the different states (I think there are about 12) without so-called defense of marriage laws on the books. But while thats nice, until marriage is recognized nationwide, it remains a somewhat hollow victory. For what its worth, New York Governor (formerly Attorney General) Eliot Spitzer's legal opinion was that although same-sex marriages could not be legally performed in New York State under the laws then on the books, New York State law DOES provide that out-of-state same-sex marriages should (and will) be recognized in New York State, so in effect, New Yorkers can marry in Massachusetts and return to New York and have a legal marriage -- and now that Romney is gone, there is less concern about town clerks playing moral police on the issue, and indeed,

8:37 PM  
Blogger Scott S said...

the new governor of Massachusetts says the law has its origins in racism and should be removed from the books.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home